Coach Dom Capers, of the expansion Houston Texans in the NFL, has a scratch formula for success that is easily transferable to any new program in basketball. In a recent USA Today article, Capers lists six keys:
1) Work Ethic - "Effort during practices and conditioning sessions are critical for ensuring the attitude and approach needed." You can`t control how well you shoot, or how well the other team plays, but you can always control how HARD you play!
2) Intelligence - "More teams beat themselves rather than being overmatched." Eliminate turnovers, bad shots, and mental mistakes. If you make a mistake-LEARN from it.
3) Physicality - Work hard to be in peak physical condition. Be strong enough that you don`t get pushed around. Have enough endurance to last through the end of the game. Dish out more than you take!
4) Cohesion - Players must "realize that they are accountable to each other." Players must realize that their teamates deserve their best effort. It means losing oneself in the group for the good of the group. It means being not just willing but eager to sacrifice personal interest or glory for the welfare of all.
5) Class - "No cheap shots or excessive trash talk." Fans, a community, or a student body will respect a team that tries to do the right thing. "Be a solid citizen and reliable in handling obligations." Administration will be most supportive that way.
6) Consistency - "Setting a foundation is only as good as carrying out winning principles on a day-to-day basis." Allow no slippage and do not compromise your principles.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.