Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Scouting, Preparation & Program Development and other Basketball topics.
When taking over a new program, it is important to try and develop an identity for your new team that is built upon on some basic qualities of success. Develop a plan of attack and emphasize the qualities that you want your program to be noted for. Here are six keys:
1) Work Ethic - Effort during practices and conditioning sessions is critical for ensuring the attitude and approach needed. You can't control how well you shoot or how well the other team plays, but you can always control how HARD you play!
2) Intelligence - More teams beat themselves rather than being over-matched. Eliminate turnovers, bad shots, and mental mistakes. If you make a mistake, LEARN from it.
3) Physicality - Work hard to be in peak physical condition. Be strong enough that you don't get pushed around, and have enough endurance to last through the end of the game. Dish out more than you take!
4) Cohesion - Players must realize that they are accountable for each other and that their teammates deserve their best effort. It means losing oneself in the group for the good of the group. It means being not just willing, but eager, to sacrifice personal interest or glory for the welfare of all.
5) Class - Players should take no cheap shots or trash talk excessively. Fans, the community, and the student body will respect a team that tries to do the right thing. Be a solid citizen and be reliable in handling obligations. Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Administration will be most supportive that way.
6) Consistency - Setting a foundation is only as good as carrying out winning principles on a day-to-day basis. Allow no slippage and do not compromise your principles.